Thursday 3 October 2013

An apple a day keeps the doctor away!! Ultimate Blog Challenge #3

As you may know by now, I am doing the Ultimate Blog Challenge where I need to post every day for the month of October. They kindly give us things we "could" write about so I thought I would give one a try......National Apple Month!!! 

The month of October is National Apple Month so im going to waffle on about apples tonight! 

My son LOVES apples.....unfortunately he has a habit of eating half and leaving it laying around but at least he has a healthy addiction. Here he is in Apple Action (please excuse the Iphone pictures, I dont tend to take pro pics of him eating :P) 

Apple when in Florida! 
Apple mad



So what is your favourite apple?! Tell me in the comments section below! I have to say mine is a nice shiny Red Delicious!!! Typically one of the most expensive apples in a supermarket but soooo worth it! I do have my moments of a classic Granny Smith too! My other half is also a shiny Red Delicious lover.....soul mates :P 


Im not going to forget the other Apple love in my life.....that would be my Apple Mac! An amazing present from my amazing partner! The saying once you go Mac you dont go back....its true!!! 


I did some quick web browsing to find some useless facts for you about apples! Enjoy!
  • Apples contain no fat, sodium or cholesterol and are a good source of fiber.
  • Apples ripen six to 10 times faster at room temperature than if they are refrigerated (we always keep ours in the fridge, apples taste sooooo much better cold!) 
  • The largest apple ever picked weighed 3 pounds.
  • Apples are a member of the rose family.
  • It takes about 36 apples to create one gallon of apple cider.
  • Archeologists have found evidence that humans have been enjoying apples since at least 6500 B.C.
  • Planting an apple seed from a particular apple will not produce a tree of that same variety. The seed is a cross of the tree the fruit was grown on and the variety that was the cross pollinator.
  • The old saying "an apple a day, keeps the doctor away" comes from am old English adage, "To eat an apple before going to bed, will make the doctor beg his bread."
  • The Adam's apple is so-called because of a popular idea that it was created when the forbidden fruit got stuck in Adam's throat when he swallowed it.
  • The Adam's apple is so-called because of a popular idea that it was created when the forbidden fruit got stuck in Adam's throat when he swallowed it.
  • Celebrity actress and singer, Gwyneth Paltrow named her first daughter, “Apple.”

So the saying an apple a day keeps the doctors away.....why is this?! 

According to Succeedwiththis.com:

Apples have properties that no other fruits have and its benefits have been proven overtime.
1-Apples contains Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps greatly your immune system. A lot of people who lack Vitamin C in their diet have poor healing, bruise easily and have bleeding gums.

2-Prevent Heart Diseases. The reason it can prevent both coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease is because apples are rich in flavonoid. Flavonoids are also known for their antioxidant effects.
3-Low in calories. A regular size apple has between 70-100 calories. Eating an apple when craving for candy or chocolate can make the desire disappear since apple in itself contains sugar, but gives you only ¼ of the calories.
4-Prevent Cancers. Notice the plural. We all know that cancer comes in several forms and in different places. Apples target multiple cancers such as colon cancer, prostate cancer and breast cancer in women.
5-Apples contain phenols, which have a double effect on cholesterol. It reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol. They prevent LDL cholesterol from turning into oxidized LDL, a very dangerous form of bad cholesterol which can be deadly.
6-Prevent tooth decay. Tooth decay is an infection that seriously damages the structure of your teeth, which is caused primarily because of bacteria. The juice of the apples has properties that can kill up to 80% of bacteria. So there you have it, an apple a day also keeps the dentist away!
7-Protects your brain from brain disease. This is something many people don’t know, and when you consider that your brain makes the person you are, it gives a whole new perspective. Apple has substances called phytonutrients, and these phytonutrients prevents neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinsonism.
8-Healthier Lungs. A research at the University of Nottingham Research shows that people who eat 5 apples or more per week has lower respiratory problems, including asthma.
SO EAT MORE APPLES PEOPLE!  
Lastly, I thought it would be relevant to post a video my son always manages to come across and then play over and over when he is sat on YouTube........I hope you have enjoyed my totally random blog post!!! 

5 comments:

  1. My favourite apple is definitely a gala apple :) I don't eat that many though because I absolutely HATE the feeling of the skin on my teeth :( the kids love apples though and Jayden takes one every day to school with him to eat at play time :) Ava chokes on them quite a lot so I need to peel them and cut them up into small chunks. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my apple mac and granny smith's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crispy crunchy apples :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to eat apples as desserts, apple pie, apple cake mmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete